Skip to main content

The Effect of languages on nature تأثير اللغات على الطبيعة

The effect of languages on nature
There is no doubt that learning languages is very interesting and essential in our everyday life. As a language lover myself, I have always been interested in the connection between nature, language and culture as well. Can you imagine that my friend, who is Japanese, and I could be listening to the same exact thing, but hearing it differently? What is the reason of this? Let me explain it to you by giving you an example - from the nature around us- and then maybe things will be clear and understandable to you.
If I asked you now, "What sound does a cat make?" what would you say? I mean, if a cat "meowed" in front of you, you clearly hear the cat saying "meow meow", right? Now, can you imagine that Japanese people do not hear the cat saying "meow meow"; instead they hear cats saying "nya nya にゃーにゃー". Is this not crazy? The exact same thing happens with the sound that dogs make. An American person will hear the dog saying "wuff wuff" or "ruff ruff", while on the other hand, a Japanese person will hear "wan wanワンワン". As an Arab person myself, I will hear something completely different. I hear the dog saying "haw haw" or "how' how' "!
I found out that our mother tongue effects the way we hear things including the sounds of animals. When I started studying the English language, my English was not good back then. I could not understand how the sound of dogs is "wuff wuff". This dog in front of me is clearly saying "haw haw". How come my American friends say that it is "wuff wuff"? It made no sense to me, and I totally forgot about it for a while. I then started getting interested in Japanese language, and after years of learning Japanese, I noticed something interesting. I noticed that I actually can hear both sounds of the cat! I can hear the cat saying "nya nya にゃーにゃー" and "meow meow" as well which I found so interesting. Then I realized by familiarizing myself with the culture of the country, me learning their languages made it easier to see how people of other cultures can hear things differently.
I also noticed that languages does not only affect how people hear the sound animals, but also affect their nature as human beings. What is the meaning of this? I mean that the nature and the characteristics of Japanese people, for examples, are totally different than American people in many different ways. Japanese people who only speak Japanese language tend to be very polite and some people would consider them to be shy, while American people tend to be considered more courageous and out spoken. I noticed this about myself as well.  Whenever I speak Japanese, I notice that I tend to be very polite and respectful to the person I am talking to. I even smile more than normal when I am talking in Japanese language. On the other hand, when I am talking in English, I actually feel more confident of myself and will always speak out my mind with no fear or hesitation. Is this not kind of unbelievable? My characteristics and nature change a lot when I am speaking different languages, so I would understand how someone raised on a certain country with certain culture and tradition would see and hear things differently.
Learning languages is a great thing. It opens doors to us as humans, and makes us understand each other and accept our differences and even appreciate them. I think if I have never learned any languages other than my mother tongue, Arabic, I would not be the person I am nowadays or understand why people of other culture do things differently. 
Peace, Shouq

Popular posts from this blog

هل تريدين التبرع بشعرك؟ كيف؟ دليلك الشامل لكيفية التبرع بالشعر// Hair donation

"مرحباً! شعري طويل  وأفكر بقصه، أظن أنه من الإسراف أن أرمي شعري الطويل في القمامة بعد قصه لذا فكرت أن أتبرع به ولكن المشكلة أنني لا أعرف كيف أتبرع به ولا أين يمكنني فعل ذلك" السلام عليكم! اسمي شوق، قمت بالتبرع بشعري للمرة الأولى قبل سنتين في عام 2015 وبحثت كثيراً عن كيفية فعل ذلك بكلتا اللغتين العربية والإنجليزية كذلك، إذا كان لديك شغف في معرفة كيف يمكنك التبرع بشعرك إذن ما سأكتبه قد يكون مفيد بالنسبة لك ملاحظة : كل شيء سأقوله مرتبط بالشركة التي أتبرع لها، كل شركة لها شروط وتعليمات مختلفة عن الشركة الأخرى. الشعر المسموح التبرع به:   أقل طول مسموح التبرع به هو 12 انش اي حوالي 31 سم ، لتتأكدي أن القياس صحيح قومي بتحويل الشعر "الكيرلي" إلى شعر مسطح "ستريت". .يجب على الشعر أن يكون نظيف وغير مبلل، الشعر المبلل قد يتعفن خلال الشحن لا يمكنك التبرع بالشعر المصبوغ إلا بعد  أن يتلاشى الصبغ (إن كان هذا ممكناً) يمكن التبرع بالشعر الأبيض الناتج عن التقدم بالعمر. قبل التبرع قومي بتقسيم شعرك إلى 4 أقسام وسيكون أفضل لو استطعتي تقسيم شعرك إلى 6

تجربتي مع إختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية في مصر Taking the JLPT in Egypt

السلام عليكم جميعاً! قبل أيام قليلة أخيراَ قمت بمعرفة درجة اختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية المستوى الخامس N5 لنبدأ أولاً بالتحدث عن ماهية الإختبار يطلق على الإمتحان JLPT JLPT=Japanese Language Proficiency Test=اختبار الكفاءة في اللغة الياباينة إختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية يحتوي على خمس مستويات حيث المستوى الأول أصعبها والمستوى الخامس أسهلها. N5 N4 N3 N2 N1 لماذا حرف الـ N ؟ لأن كلمة "اللغة اليابانية" في اللغة اليابانية هي 日本語 وتنطق "نيهون قو". ثانياً: التسجيل لنتحدث عن طريقة التسجيل لأنني لست مصرية ولا أعيش في مصر لذا بكل تأكيد قمت بالتسجيل عن طريق الإنترنت، ولكن كيف؟ قمت بالتواصل معهم عن طريق هذا الإيميل ثم قمت بالتواصل مع أحد موظفين مؤسسة اليابان في القاهرة، طلب مني ارسال صورة شخصية وتعبئة استمارة التسجيل ايميل مؤسسة اليابان في القاهرة: culture@ca.mofa.go.jp صورة للإستمارة وسوف يتم اخبارك كيف تقوم بتعبأة الإستمارة فلا تقلق!  ❤ يوم الإمتحان وصلنا الجامعة الساعة 8 أو 8:30 صباحاً، قبل دخول الجامعة مقابل البوابة قام رجال الأ

( Japanese poem )The little bird, the bell, and me 私と小鳥と鈴と 「英語訳」

[Translated script] The little bird, the bell, and me Even with both of my hands open, I still can't fly in the sky, But the little flying bird Can't run as fast on the ground as me. Even if I shake my body, No beautiful sound comes out. But the ringing bell Doesn't know as much songs as me, The bell, the little bird and also me, We are all different, yet we are good. Poet: Misuzu Kaneko Translated by: Shouq A - Q8toy - ショーグ [The script for the poem] 私と小鳥と鈴と 私は両手うをひろげても、 お空はちょっとっも飛べないが。 飛べる小鳥は私のように、 地面を速く走れない。 私は体をゆすっても、 綺麗な音は出ないけど、 あの鳴る鈴は私のように、 たくさんな音は知らないよ。 鈴と小鳥とそれから私、 みんな違って、みんないい。 詩人:金子みすゞ [ Hiragana ~ ひらがな ] わたしとことりとすずと わたしはりょうてをひろげても おそらはちょっとっもとべないが。 とべることりはわたしのように、 じめんをはやくはしれない。 わたしはからだをゆすっても、 きれいなおとはでないけど、 あのなるすずはわたしのように、 たくさんなおとはしらないよ。 すずとことりとそれからわたし、 みんなちがって、みんないい。 しじん:かねこ みすず