Skip to main content

How to register a legal alias in Japan / 外国人として通称名の登録のやり方

 Hey there! I'm Shouq, and I've been living in Japan for almost four years now. I've got a bit of a situation with my middle name on official documents – it's quite long. If you've spent a good amount of time in Japan, you'll know that dealing with a middle name here can be a hassle, especially if it's a really long one. It messes up online forms, and I've even been rejected for credit cards because my identity couldn't be confirmed due to the mismatch between cards with and without my middle name.

Recently, I found out about something called a "通称名" (tsuushoumei), which is like a legal alias you can register in Japan. This can help solve the middle name issue. You can register a simplified name without your middle name or even use your spouse's last name if you're married. I know some foreign residents here who prefer using their middle name as their first name just because it's easier to pronounce – you can get that registered too.

Before I got into this process, I looked around a lot for information but didn't find much. So, I decided to write this to fill in the gaps. Let's get into the nitty-gritty of how to register a legal alias in Japan! When you head to the city hall, they'll give you a list of documents you need:

  1. Your Passport.
  2. Your Residence Card.
  3. Proof that you are already using the name in real life. They usually want at least two of the following documents:
    • If you work at a company:
      • Employee ID card (社員証)
      • Proof of employment (在職証明書)
      • Health insurance card (社会保険証)
    • If you're a student or a child of a long-term resident:
      • Student ID (学生証)
      • Certificate of enrollment (在籍証明書)
      • Graduation certificate (卒業証明書)
    • If you're married to a Japanese citizen or adopted:
      • Family register or acceptance certificate showing the connection.

Now, even though these requirements might sound simple, the reality is a bit more complicated. It took me four trips to the city hall before I could finally get my legal alias registered. Let me break down the documents I needed for my own application:

  • Filling out the application form
  • Writing a short explanation for the reasons for wanting to register that name
  • My Employee ID card (社員証)
  • Proof of employment (在職証明書)
  • A bunch of work-related emails showing I used that name. They wanted emails from different companies, so I provided around 10 A4 pages of these.
  • Delivery receipts for both work and personal stuff, including orders from Amazon and various couriers like EMS Japan Post, Sagawa, and Yamato – another 10 proofs.
  • Receipts from vendors I worked with like 作業完了確認書
  • Personal letters and mail from friends

By the way, your name on your residence card won't change, and you won't get any official paper acknowledging the alias. The only place your alias will appear is on your MyNumber card, and it's not very prominent.

As for whether this helps with credit card applications and so– that's the next puzzle I'm looking to solve!

I hope sharing my experience makes your own journey of getting a legal alias in Japan a bit smoother!


Popular posts from this blog

هل تريدين التبرع بشعرك؟ كيف؟ دليلك الشامل لكيفية التبرع بالشعر// Hair donation

"مرحباً! شعري طويل  وأفكر بقصه، أظن أنه من الإسراف أن أرمي شعري الطويل في القمامة بعد قصه لذا فكرت أن أتبرع به ولكن المشكلة أنني لا أعرف كيف أتبرع به ولا أين يمكنني فعل ذلك" السلام عليكم! اسمي شوق، قمت بالتبرع بشعري للمرة الأولى قبل سنتين في عام 2015 وبحثت كثيراً عن كيفية فعل ذلك بكلتا اللغتين العربية والإنجليزية كذلك، إذا كان لديك شغف في معرفة كيف يمكنك التبرع بشعرك إذن ما سأكتبه قد يكون مفيد بالنسبة لك ملاحظة : كل شيء سأقوله مرتبط بالشركة التي أتبرع لها، كل شركة لها شروط وتعليمات مختلفة عن الشركة الأخرى. الشعر المسموح التبرع به:   أقل طول مسموح التبرع به هو 12 انش اي حوالي 31 سم ، لتتأكدي أن القياس صحيح قومي بتحويل الشعر "الكيرلي" إلى شعر مسطح "ستريت". .يجب على الشعر أن يكون نظيف وغير مبلل، الشعر المبلل قد يتعفن خلال الشحن لا يمكنك التبرع بالشعر المصبوغ إلا بعد  أن يتلاشى الصبغ (إن كان هذا ممكناً) يمكن التبرع بالشعر الأبيض الناتج عن التقدم بالعمر. قبل التبرع قومي بتقسيم شعرك إلى 4 أقسام وسيكون أفضل لو استطعتي تقسيم شعرك إلى 6

تجربتي مع إختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية في مصر Taking the JLPT in Egypt

السلام عليكم جميعاً! قبل أيام قليلة أخيراَ قمت بمعرفة درجة اختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية المستوى الخامس N5 لنبدأ أولاً بالتحدث عن ماهية الإختبار يطلق على الإمتحان JLPT JLPT=Japanese Language Proficiency Test=اختبار الكفاءة في اللغة الياباينة إختبار الكفاءة في اللغة اليابانية يحتوي على خمس مستويات حيث المستوى الأول أصعبها والمستوى الخامس أسهلها. N5 N4 N3 N2 N1 لماذا حرف الـ N ؟ لأن كلمة "اللغة اليابانية" في اللغة اليابانية هي 日本語 وتنطق "نيهون قو". ثانياً: التسجيل لنتحدث عن طريقة التسجيل لأنني لست مصرية ولا أعيش في مصر لذا بكل تأكيد قمت بالتسجيل عن طريق الإنترنت، ولكن كيف؟ قمت بالتواصل معهم عن طريق هذا الإيميل ثم قمت بالتواصل مع أحد موظفين مؤسسة اليابان في القاهرة، طلب مني ارسال صورة شخصية وتعبئة استمارة التسجيل ايميل مؤسسة اليابان في القاهرة: culture@ca.mofa.go.jp صورة للإستمارة وسوف يتم اخبارك كيف تقوم بتعبأة الإستمارة فلا تقلق!  ❤ يوم الإمتحان وصلنا الجامعة الساعة 8 أو 8:30 صباحاً، قبل دخول الجامعة مقابل البوابة قام رجال الأ

( Japanese poem )The little bird, the bell, and me 私と小鳥と鈴と 「英語訳」

[Translated script] The little bird, the bell, and me Even with both of my hands open, I still can't fly in the sky, But the little flying bird Can't run as fast on the ground as me. Even if I shake my body, No beautiful sound comes out. But the ringing bell Doesn't know as much songs as me, The bell, the little bird and also me, We are all different, yet we are good. Poet: Misuzu Kaneko Translated by: Shouq A - Q8toy - ショーグ [The script for the poem] 私と小鳥と鈴と 私は両手うをひろげても、 お空はちょっとっも飛べないが。 飛べる小鳥は私のように、 地面を速く走れない。 私は体をゆすっても、 綺麗な音は出ないけど、 あの鳴る鈴は私のように、 たくさんな音は知らないよ。 鈴と小鳥とそれから私、 みんな違って、みんないい。 詩人:金子みすゞ [ Hiragana ~ ひらがな ] わたしとことりとすずと わたしはりょうてをひろげても おそらはちょっとっもとべないが。 とべることりはわたしのように、 じめんをはやくはしれない。 わたしはからだをゆすっても、 きれいなおとはでないけど、 あのなるすずはわたしのように、 たくさんなおとはしらないよ。 すずとことりとそれからわたし、 みんなちがって、みんないい。 しじん:かねこ みすず